Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Red Line versus Red Hooks

I have always wondered how they can advertise red fishing line as being invisible to fish yet you always here that fish bite better on red hooks. How can this be? Someone must be lying.

Well today I learned the answer on the Huntcast podcast. The answer is that the red color in fishing line is translucent. This translucence will cause the red color to disappear in about 4 feet of water.

The red color of a fishing hook is opaque and reflects light which will make the red color visible down past 100 feet.

Now I feel better knowing that no one has been lying.

3 comments:

Eagle Eyes said...

Good post! I have some red fishing line that I intend on putting to use soon. Might try it more during the ice fishin' season.

Anonymous said...

Makes sense. Thanks for the clarification!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for clearing this up. I always wondered about this myself.