Monday, May 21, 2007

Going Blind...in a good way

I'm not afraid of heights but the idea of falling out of a tree scares the heck out of me. Given the choice I would choose sitting my behind on the ground anyday. In my opinion no deer is worth getting injured over. More and more hunters are choosing the ground blind option these days. There are numerous portable blinds available on the market to choose from. My problem with the portable blinds is that they don't fit into the natural surroundings very well and they cost a lot of money. My fear is that I'll spend $200.00 to $400.00 for a blind and then have someone decide that they want it more than me and steal it. I remember as a child hunting ducks that we always made our blinds. Most of our shooting was pass shooting between several sloughs. We would collect fallen tree branches and whatever else was available in the area. Items that looked like they belonged. The blinds that we ended up with were quite impressive and very effective. While hunting ducks we would have all kinds of critters, including deer, pass by our blinds well within bow range. My suggestion is that you take the time to build several ground blinds using native material on the property you hunt, with permission of course. I think you will find that the blinds are more comfortable, more effective and a whole lot of fun to make.

No comments: