Sunday, May 13, 2007

Happy Mother's Day



Happy Mother's Day to all of the great mother's out there. Being Mother's Day I thought I would pass along some old wisdom that I was taught years ago by a dog breeder. He told me that in nature the canine Mother is responsible for feeding the young pups. Hunting is instilled into the Mother more so than the Father of the pups. The Father, which is of no surprise, is primarily interested in, yes you guessed it, breeding. This being the case the dog breeder said that with everything being equal, choose the female pup when buying a hunting dog. Over the years I have asked dog owners their opinion on this subject and most agree that their female dogs have all been better hunting dogs. Did I listen to this advise, No. My current dog is a male British Lab. He has been a great dog and as you can see in the picture he has the pointing trait which is pretty cool for a lab. Did I make the wrong decision getting a male? Not a chance. I would Love Charlie even if his nose fell off.

1 comment:

Eric J. Burton said...

Yellow Labs rule, I have a male too. I wouldn't trade him for the world.