Thursday, August 16, 2007

Saving Time Re-Rigging


When you fish rivers with live bait or cut bait, getting snagged and breaking off your line is common. Not only is it common but it is a pain in the rear and time consuming to get set back up to go fishing again.

I can't avoid the snags but I did make the job of re-rigging much easier. By adopting a method from fly fishing I started using a loop-to-loop connection between my main line and my rig. Now I pre-make several rigs that entail my weight, glass bead, a swivel, and circle hook.

Start by cutting a piece of line about 18-24" long, tie a double surgeons knot to form a loop on one end of that line, add your weight (I use 3-5oz no-roll sinkers), slide on a glass bead from a craft store to protect the knot between the weight and the swivel, then tie on your swivel. Now cut another piece of line 12-18" long (make sure it is of less weight. I will usually use 65lb braided on the top half of the rig and 35lb braided below the swivel). Tie this line to your swivel and then tie your hook on. I normally will use a snell knot with a circle hook.

Now when you get snagged and need to break the line off you only loose your hook. Once you are reeled back in you can disconnect the loop-to-loop connection from your line and replace your whole rig at once within a few seconds. I usually make up several of the rigs ahead of time so that I always have one handy to go. You could also tie a loop on the end of the hook line and make a loop connection through the swivel but I prefer tying a standard knot for the swivel connection.

No comments: