Friday, June 1, 2007

Stop Jerking...

I have come to love and hate braided fishing line. The hate part came from learning how to use it properly. The love part comes from the results you can get with braided line.

One of the hardest things for me to learn, or should I say remember, was the fact that braided line does not stretch. Setting the hook and landing a fish is different when using braided line. After a few lost fish you start to catch on.

The best advice I can give you is to set the hook once, load the rod and reel in the fish. Don't keep jerking the rod trying to set the hook or fight the fish. If you do this you will only be tearing a big hole in the fish's mouth and a big hole gives the fish a better chance at throwing the hook.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

even worse is trying to cut braided line with your teeth. not that i'd do that even with mono--:)

Othmar Vohringer said...

I tried braided line a few years ago and have to admit, I love it. It has become my most used line.

-Othmar Vohringer-