Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Bug Off

The one thing I hate about summer besides a high heat index is mosquitos. These little rascals sure feed a lot of birds and bats but they are nothing but a pain and danger to us humans.

I have been on a quest this summer to find out what works best to keep these guys at bay. I've tried several different insect repellents and have had varying results. The best insect repellent I have found is Deep Woods Off. This repellent has also been rated the best by a couple of consumer review groups.

The one thing that I learned about insect repellent is that the percentage of Deet does not make the repellent more or less effective. The only thing a high percentage of Deet does is make the repellent last longer. I've always looked for high percentage Deet sprays thinking that more was better.

The other product that I absolutely love is a small unit made by Thermacell. This little machine is compact, portable and works great. Check out their website for more information. I also noticed on their site that they have a scent dispersal unit. I have not tried it but if it works as good as their bug repellent it would be worth a try this fall.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd be more than happy to test your Thermacell for you. Just drop it off!